Mankind has never completely understood the complexity of sleep, learning, and memory. If we look at the studies conducted on animals and humans, then we can see that there is a direct connection of good sleep with memory and learning. There are two ways in which quality sleep help memory and learning. Firstly, sleep has a role in the consolidation of memory, and it is required to learn something new. Having a relaxed mind is the only way you can ensure proper focus. Secondly, sleep deprivation can make a person lose focus over the ongoing task, making them incapable to learn efficiently. You can avoid it by having a comfortable bed mattress, as high-quality furniture enables us to get better sleep.
Even though we are far away from knowing the exact methodology, we can define memory and learn in three functional steps.
1. Acquiring: Introducing new information through our day-to-day learnings is referred to as acquiring knowledge and learning.
2. Stabilizing: We need to retain memory to perform. Sound sleep can help in consolidation, enabling us to store information.
3. Recalling: The ability to access information is recalling. Both conscious and unconscious minds have capabilities to recall a memory and make us act accordingly.
The above steps are a necessity for our memory to function properly. You acquire information and recall it when you are awake. However, consolidation of memory occurs when you fall asleep and strengthen neural connections that create memories. No one knows how it is made possible by sleeping, but research strongly suggests that bedtime and wakeup routine play a major role in improving quality of sleep, thereby making a positive impact on your learning capacity and memory retention.
Benefits of employing bedtime routine
You might have to take care of work at daytime and look after your kids in the rest of the time. In the process, you might have never taken some time to follow a bedtime routine. By following a consistent bedtime routine you can get better sleep. The routine won't take more than 30-60 minutes and it is quite helpful in providing relaxation to the body.
How does a bedtime routine help you in sleeping?
- A bedtime routine helps you avoid exhausting activities and relax instead
- You can avoid overthinking by following a routine
- By making a habit, you can train your mind to unwind easily at your bedtime
- You can plan for the next day beforehand
The bedtime routine differs from person to person. Make sure that it can be done by remaining quiet and it helps you enjoy and relax. Listed below are a few ideas for your bedtime routine.
Top 5 ideas for your bedtime routine
1. Meditation or simple exercise: There are enormous benefits of performing meditation or a simple exercise before going to sleep. Most people find it difficult to sleep due to a busy mind, or the stress and anxiety from the heavy workload. 5-10 minutes of meditation can help you calm down and relax easily.
2. Spend some time with your loved ones: A little time with your family, friends, or pets can help you get a sound sleep. It will help you create a positive atmosphere around you. Moreover, by sharing time with your loved ones can help bring down stress and anxiety and you can have a good head start in the coming day.
3. Reading and writing: A habit of regular reading before bedtime can help you overcome overthinking in bed. By reading a book of your favourite genre, you can have your mind focus on other aspects of life. If you are thinking about the work that you have to do tomorrow, it is better to write down on a diary before sleeping. By doing it you won't worry that you would forget important tasks as you have noted them down.
4. Don't lie awake: It may take up to 30 minutes to fall asleep, but if you are awake after 30 minutes then it is probably because you are not ready to get asleep yet. It can turn out to be frustrating to try sleeping through willpower alone. Moreover, it can make it harder for you to relax. Try to repeat your routine and get back to bed after some time.
5. Listen to music: Listening to calming music is a great way to relax your mind before sleeping. Try to avoid loud music, and have a relaxing drink with some light snacks.
Following the above ideas, or any other idea that makes you feel happy before bed is a great bedtime activity. Similar to the bedtime activities, wakeup activities play a great role in making us more productive in learning new skills.
Benefits of employing a wakeup routine
Even though we wake up having a good energy level, we find it difficult to keep the focus on our work and exercise self-control. We may not realise it, but a small wakeup routine can positively generate a positive tone within us that lasts for the whole day.
- How does a wakeup routine help in a working day
- A morning routine helps in keeping your mind relaxed while performing tasks
- It helps in maintaining health over the long term
- You become more focused and highly productive if you follow wakeup routine regularly
- Relaxed mind helps you in fulfilling your commitments successfully.
You can make your own schedule that helps you drive positivity in your life. Below are a few ideas that will help you understand how you can make your personal wakeup schedule.
Top 5 ideas for your morning routine
1. Perform exercise: To have positive energy during your work hours, you can take out some time and perform physical and spiritual exercises. You can take a walk in a park, and perform Yoga exercises to gain positivity. A 10-minute exercise can make your brain feel relaxed and help you handle your impulses in a better way.
2. Drink water: The first drink after waking up should be water. It enhances your energy level mentally and physically. You can drink some lemon water to improve nutrient absorption in your stomach. Do not rush out for breakfast, and wait 15 minutes before taking a meal.
3. Have a proper breakfast: People who have a good breakfast meal are less likely to be obese. Healthy breakfast helps in maintaining blood sugar levels over the course of a day. You are less likely to feel hungry during work hours if you take a good meal in the morning.
4. Avoid multitasking: You are full of energy when you wake up, but if you multitask during the daytime, it can have a setback on your day. If you continuously do it for a long time then you will start losing your focus and become less productive when you switch from one job to another and recall information. Doing one work at once can help you generate better results over the course of the day.
5. Learn to say "No": You can honour your existing commitments if you learn to say "No". Avoid making excuses and use the time as an opportunity to fulfil your commitments successfully. Not saying "No" at the right time can make you experience stress and even depression.
When we wake up we should be full of energy, but if you are waking up in pain and if you feel difficulty in sleeping, then you might be using a wrong mattress. Choosing a wrong mattress can make you sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation can be partial, total, or selective, and it adversely affects the learning capabilities of individuals.
Adverse effects of choosing a wrong Mattress
You should not buy a Mattress without considering what would be better for you and your partner. Listed below are some adverse effects of choosing the wrong Mattress.
- You can face severe body pain due to excessive muscle relaxation while sleeping. A good mattress can help in supporting your body properly while you fall asleep
- Feeling unrest, and anxiety is common among those who face difficulty in sleeping on their mattresses
- The wrong choice of mattress can make it difficult for you to sleep and you might keep waking up again and again
- You might face a lack of energy and health issues if you continue sleeping on a bad-quality mattress
- Lying awake on a bed and not being able to get a sleep often results in overthinking and a person might get depressed.
Mattresses play a major role in providing comfort to your body while you sleep. Comfortable bed mattresses are available in the market, and here is how you can choose the right mattress for you.
How to choose the best Mattress?
If you are having trouble getting a sound sleep, then choosing the right mattress can help you avoid it. Listed below are some factors that affect your choice of mattresses.
1. Age of your mattress: Mattress age plays a big role in telling whether you need a new one or not. If your mattress age is over 8 years, then you should consider getting a new one. However, it is not a hard and fast rule. Some mattresses might be able to deliver the same quality performance for a time longer than that. The best way to make a judgement is by checking out your sleeping patterns. If you are facing trouble like restless sleep, and if you wake up in pain, then it is time to get a new mattress.
2. Mattress Type: Various types of bed mattresses are available in the market that targets the specific needs of customers. You can make the best choice by having a look at these different mattress types available in the market.
Orthopaedic mattresses: Orthopedic mattresses are a great choice if you are looking for a mattress that can provide support to your back, joints, and your body as a whole. These mattresses are specially designed considering the medical study that focuses on deformity and disorders in joints and spine.
Back support mattresses: A mattress can cause your spine to bow unnaturally if it is too firm or soft. So, to keep your lumbar spine in natural alignment, you can get a back support mattress.
Pocket Spring Mattress: Pocket Spring Mattresses are designed to support extra body weight. It is for people who want to get a more firm feeling from their bed. It helps in providing better weight distribution.
3. Sleeping Positions: People sleep in different sleeping positions. Some like to sleep on their side, others on their back, and a few people like to sleep on their stomach. Your mattress should support your sleeping style.
Side sleepers: People who sleep on their side often their positions while sleeping. The constant change requires a medium level firmness in the mattress. It will help relieve pressure from your neck and back.
Back sleepers: For back sleepers, support and firmness are both a critical aspect in choosing the right mattress. It should not be too soft that it affects the spinal alignment of the sleepers. A comfortable bed mattress that can eliminate pressure points with enough softness would be an appropriate choice for back sleepers.
Stomach sleepers: Support is the most important aspect to consider while choosing a mattress for a stomach sleeper. Stomach sleepers need to be as flat as possible with respect to the mattress surface.
You can choose the mattress that suits you the best by checking your SleepID. SleepID uses over 3 lacs parameters to suggest the best mattress for any sleeper. It uses real-time pressure mapping tests of people having different sleeping patterns, body types, postures, and many more variables to suggest the best orthopaedic mattress. This technique can help you choose the best mattress to have quality sleep and maintain your well-being.
Sleep is equally important as breathing, eating and drinking water. Most people lack the motivation to make these simple changes in lifestyle that can help enhance our productivity and health. To get sound sleep, you require a good bedtime and wake up routine, along with a good mattress. Considering the tips mentioned in the above guide can allow us to enhance our memory power and learning capabilities.
Memory and Learning are connected with our sleeping patterns. Being sleep deprived can adversely affect your learning capabilities. KingKoil makes high-quality and comfortable bed mattresses that can help you get better sleep. Use SleepID to choose the best mattresses that suit your body requirements. Remember that we spend a third of our lives sleeping on mattresses, so it is important to choose the one that suits our requirements.